Saturday, November 26, 2011

Review: The Scorpio Races

*first, a huuge thank you to Sarah and Rachel from Scholastic for sending me the novel to review*

Goodreads blurb:

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die. 

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them. 

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.





Personal opinion:

 Okay, so. When I finished reading The Scorpio Races, I was torn. Torn between loving this novel and hating it. Loving because it is, like all Maggie Stiefvater's novels, written so extraordinarily and beautifully. And hating it, because I just couldn't get into it. At first, at least. 

The pace was a bit slower, and there isn't much romance in the novel, so that, if you are not a fan of this kind of novels, might throw you off of reading it. And, at times, I felt like it would do the same to me.
But I stuck with it and finished it in matter of days, though it's a pretty thick novel. And, everything added up, I do not regret reading it.

The Scorpio Races is different. For one, Maggie's writing is something out-of-this-worldly. She has a way with words that will make you smile and cry at the same time. Little "tricks" she does, like repeating a word two or three times define the atmosphere and mood and it's a perfect touch.
Also, the novel is unlike any novel I've read, with its unusual plot and creatures.
The characters were unique, Puck in her brave and fearless, and Sean in his graceful and loveable way. When they are together, magic begins. 
They work so well together, just fit each other. And now, as I write this and remember the novel, I see more and more how love is in this novel, hidden behind a bush of roses, lurking in silence. But it is there.

So, overall, the good prevails by a lot and I must give The Scorpio Races five stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank you for leaving a comment! *sends sparkles*