Saturday, September 17, 2011

Review: The Girl In The Steel Corset


Hello there! Tonight (well, my time) I'm reviewing a novel by Kady Cross. The one me loved. So:

Goodreads blurb:
In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one except the "thing" inside her. 

When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch...

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits. Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.

Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help-and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.

But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on, even if it seems no one believes her.

Personal opinion:

Okay, so, short version:
Had this book on my to-read list for a long time, finally got in, and loved it.

The longer version:

Oh em gee!
Ok, before I got TGITSC, I read the prequel novella The Strange Case of Finley Jayne. At first, I was skeptical about the steampunk, because I prefer my books to be in the time that we're in now. BUT, Kady Cross got me over to the dark Victorian side ;)
Finley Jayne is a one cool kick-ass lady!
I actually expected TGITSC to be written in only Finley's POV, but we got inside a couple of other characters too, and instead of killing the story, Kady Cross made it work out very greatly.
And I admit, at first it was a bit hard to keep up with the story and I was confused, and that was around 50 pages in. But then, something just clicked. In that one moment, I understood completely and just knew what would this novel be about. And believe me, if you're confused, don't give up! Because this novel is SO WORTH IT.
There were a few scenes to which I absolutely melted, because they were sooo sweet and beautifully written. But also, the novel had me on the edge of my seat a few times and I just had to know what would happen next.
I read TGITSC in two days, and if it hadn't been for school, I'd read it in one sitting, trust me!
And then was that end. And it left me gaping mouth, begging for more!
So, yeah, this book is a total win! Get it. NOW. :D
5 brilliant stars

And, also, special thanks to Daphne because I won TGITSC from her! xoxo girl :)

1 comment:

  1. that sounds great and I love the book cover. I haven't read a book in awhile that's set in another era so it should be a nice change

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving a comment! *sends sparkles*